What Does A College-Based Transition Program Include?
College-Based Transition programs provide students the opportunity to experience college life. Students may live on the college campus, take courses on topics they are interested in and learn skills to support employment and independent living. Transition teams can help support students in selecting the right college-based training program.
- What areas of the college-based transition program align with the student’s interests, strengths, and preferences?
- What job and independent living skills will the student acquire by participating in a college-based transition program?
Determining If A College-Based Transition Program Is A Right Fit
Transition Teams should consider the program options available and guide students in making their decision.
- Help students identify their strengths and areas for growth
- Introduce students to college-based transition programs
- Explore programs, including programs that may or may not require a high school diploma
- Schedule a visit to the campus and meet with the disability services office
- Connect with alumni and their families to hear about their experiences
Why College-Based Transition Programs?
When students participate in these programs, they gain independent living skills, work readiness skills, and a sense of belonging.
Students will participate in college courses where they receive individualized supports while having meaningful participation on topics of their interest.
Students are able to participate in campus activities. This may include living on campus and participating in activities with other college students.
Students will explore and learn real world skills to support their independence to achieve competitive integrated employment.
Students will increase their independence through the relationships and experiences they have while attending college.
Think College is a national organization dedicated to improving inclusive higher education opportunities for people with intellectual disabilities. Students with any disability will find this site helpful as it has useful tools and resources to help pre...
Check out the calendar for events that may interest you.
College-Based Transition Programs in PA
PA Inclusive Higher Education Consortium (PIHEC)
The vision of PIHEC is to design and provide inclusive and supportive environments at the postsecondary level.