What is Independent Living Skill Development?
Students need to learn skills to manage everyday responsibilities for life after high school including:
- Having good health and hygiene
- Being able to manage money and pay bills
- Managing time to maintain a schedule
- Being safe and independent
- Accessing and maintaining housing
- Accessing needed supports and resources
How can adults support independent living skills development
Instruction is critical to develop and improve skills for independent living.
- Independence with making routine choices
- Food Prep and cooking skills
- Home maintenance skills
- Purchasing skills
- Functional life skills
How Can Independent Living Skills Help Students?
Students can learn skills to promote independence in a variety of areas
Learn how to obtain and maintain a safe place to live.
Learn how and when to schedule appointments to maintain good health, hygiene, and wellness.
Money and Budgeting
Learn how to access money from a bank, save money, and track spending to afford both the basics and reach long term financial goals.
Learn how to keep needed items in stock, how to find the best deals, and how to live within a budget.