What Is A Career Training Program?
Career training programs offer students the opportunity to develop critical skills while, in many cases, also preparing students to earn specialized certificates. Career training programs typically include a combination of classes and hands-on, practical learning experiences. Transition teams can help students determine if a career training program is right for them by identifying requirements needed to secure a job in their desired field.
- What career options are most aligned with the student’s interests, strengths, and preferences?
- Do these careers or jobs require specific certifications or training?
- Where are the certification or training programs offered and which setting is the best fit for the student?
- What skill areas might the student need to improve through a career training program to be successful in their desired career?
Determining If A Career Training Program Is The Right Choice?
The transition team can help the students determine if a career training program is the right fit by exploring some of the options available.
- Non-degree or certification program for students with disabilities located in the setting of a 2- or 4-year college or university
- Vocational or technical programs/schools
- Adult education and continuing education programs
- Apprenticeship or employer-provided job-training programs
Postsecondary Career Training Programs: A Pathway to Success
Transition teams can support students who are preparing for career training programs by outlining the opportunities available through such programs.
Students can learn content and skills to prepare them for what they will need to know and do in a job.
Students can boost their marketability and gain specific skill sets through certification programs.
Students can engage with employers and make other connections to help support them in their path to employment.
With the skills, knowledge, certifications, and experience gained through career training programs, students can earn competitive salaries and benefits.
Want to learn more?
Check the Career Planning Tool from Education Planner.org
Assessments and information to match a student with a career or industry that fits best for them and information linked to schools that are the best training programs for those careers.