The Who and What of Transition Staffings
Who should be part of a transition staffing and what should be discussed?
- The IEP team should determine which agency involvement is most practical based upon the individual needs and goals of the student.
- Families, school staff, Intermediate Unit staff, the student and agency representatives can help the team focus its energy.
- The selection of who to invite to the transition staffing is important because more information can be discovered about agency involvement or even other agencies’ roles.
What Topics Are Typically Discussed At A Transition Staffing?
Sharing information about what will be discussed at an upcoming staffing with all stakeholders will improve the communication and collaboration. Topics can include:
- The services and supports various agencies provide
- The application processes for specific programs based upon the student’s disability, income, age and other factors
- Agency involvement based upon ongoing transition planning and the student’s post school goals
- Ongoing collaboration with agency personnel to assist in transition planning over time
How Do Transition Staffings Benefit Students?
Transition staffings offer many benefits:
Knowing Who Can Help
Students and families can explore the different supports available.
Students can receive information about how to receive available support.
Students benefit from time to explore options and set clear goals.
Students meet individuals outside of the school that can help build skills and provide support.
The PA Community on Transition offers resources on a variety of topics, all focused on improving outcomes for students with disabilities.
Communicating Interagency Relationships and Collaborative Linkages for Exceptional Students (CIRCLES)
Check out the calendar for more opportunities to learn.
Want to learn more?
Check out these tools for interagency teams.
The following tools are suggested as a means to support the process of developing, conducting, maintaining, and evaluating a state interagency transition team.